MANILA, PHILIPPINES — With #OmpongPH tracking towards the Philippines and forecast to bring heavy rains and floods to the northern part of Luzon, Twitter is the best place for citizens to find out ‘What’s Happening’, in real time.
Here are 5 tips to get the most out of Twitter during #OmpongPH:
1. Twitter is where you go to see #WhatsHappening everywhere in the world, right now. Follow trusted sources like the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (@dost_pagasa) and media organizations to get the latest news on Typhoon #OmpongPH, as it happens. Avoid sharing information that you are unable to verify. Check out @TwitterPH’s list of the go-to Twitter accounts for trusted sources of information here.
2. Use the right hashtags for Typhoon Ompong (#OmpongPH). Hashtags are the best way for people to find information and conversations online, and they are used by media, government agencies and relief/volunteer organisations. To ensure that the hashtags remain useful, refrain from using hashtags for unrelated topics.
3. Use Twitter Lite to avoid challenges in data connectivity. In areas where telecommunications have been disrupted, Twitter Lite is the ideal platform to communicate and learn about emergency updates. Twitter Lite is a faster, data-friendly, and more accessible way for people in the Philippines to keep abreast of breaking news, or post live Twitter updates of emergency situations on-the-ground. Once loaded, the information on Twitter Lite can be accessed offline as well. Twitter Lite is now available for download at the Google Play Store.
4. If you need help – or can help with relief efforts, mention or tag media, government agencies and relief and/or volunteer organizations who may be able to share your Tweet and amplify your voice. Relevant organisations include the Philippine Red Cross (@philredcross), and Department of Social Welfare and Development (@dswdserves).
5. Track the issue as it evolves with Twitter Moments. Moments are curated stories showcasing the most relevant Tweets for what’s happening on Twitter. Twitter Moments show current topics which are popular and relevant, so that you can discover what is unfolding on Twitter in an instant. Create a chronological account of the situation and curate relevant Tweets, which can serve as a point of reference later on.
Twitter is where news breaks and where government agencies, relief organizations, media, volunteers, and citizens go to communicate and collaborate. Twitter is here to help every person in the Philippines see #WhatsHappening in real time and engage the right people, organizations and agencies when they need it.