Microsoft announced that employees will no longer provide technical support for discontinued products in their official community forums.
Here are the following products with discontinued support across different forums in the Microsoft Community:
- Windows 7, 8.1, 8.1 RT
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Internet Explorer 10
- Office 2010, 2013
- Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, Surface RT, Surface 2
- Microsoft Band – this topic will be locked. Users are invited to participate in Microsoft Band 2 topic.
- Mobile devices forum – Microsoft support will continue in “Other Windows mobile devices” topic
- Zune – this topic will be locked, but will remain available for browsing
All queries will still be monitored by Microsoft agents. Everyone is encouraged to continue to use the forum to ask questions and post answers with each other.
When Will Microsoft End Support for Windows 7, 8, and 10?
A Windows lifecycle fact sheet is available on Microsoft’s website showing the life cycle of all versions of Windows.
- Windows 7 is supported with security updates until the end of extended support on January 14, 2020. You must have Service Pack 1 installed to get updates
- .Windows 8.1 is supported with security updates until the end of extended support on January 10, 2023. You must have updated to Windows 8.1 to get updates—the original version of Windows 8 isn’t supported with updates anymore.
Ira James is an enthusiast who has his roots on PC hardware and gaming. His career as a tech journalist began after working in the PR industry for two years. He started GGWPTech to write PC hardware reviews, gaming, cyber security, and enterprise tech news. His works are also syndicated by other media publishers: Tech Sabado, and the Sunday and Business I.T. section of Manila Times.